Main Street Franklin /Economic Development Director
The Village of Franklin is accepting applications for a full time Main Street
\Franklin Village Economic Development Director who will be responsible for
collaborating with Village officials on economic development strategies to help
ensure the vitality of the Village Center and maintain an ethic that encourages
preservation and adaptation of historic structures to meet current Village
The Main Street Franklin/Village Economic Development Director will work
under the direction of the Village Administrator to establish an economic
development function for the village. The director is responsible for the
oversight and documentation of the Main Street program working with the
The Main Street Franklin/Village Economic Development Director is primarily responsible for
collaborating with Village officials on economic development strategies to help ensure the vitality of
the Village Center and maintain an ethic that encourages preservation and adaptation of historic
structures to meet current Village needs.
The Director leads Main Street Franklin (MSF), with the MSF Board of Directors. MSF is part of a
county-wide network of Main Street communities that use a strategic framework for transforming
downtown economies, attracting volunteers and celebrating historic character. This framework
1. Engaging with the community to agree on a vision and knowing the local market.
2. Implementing the right strategies in 4 areas - organization, promotion, design and economic
development - to accomplish goals.
3. Tracking impact – both qualitative and quantitative outcomes.
Franklin’s Main Street Franklin/Village Economic Development Director is responsible for the
oversight and documentation of the Main Street program. The Director is the on-site person
responsible for coordinating all project activities locally and for representing the community at
regional and national Main Street functions.
1. Prepare an economic development plan and implementation strategy for consideration and
adoption by the Village Council, collaborating with the Administrator, the MSF Board and
committees and Trustees.
2. Develop and maintain continuing relationships with Main Street Oakland County (MSOC),
economic development peers in surrounding jurisdictions and members of the Village
business community. Help build strong and productive working relationships with
appropriate public agencies at the local and state levels.
3. Manage the administrative aspects of MSF including record keeping, budget/accounting,
preparing reports required by MSOC and by the National Main Street Center, assisting with
the preparation of reports to funding agencies and supervising contractors/ consultants.
4. Be an expert resource for the MSF Board on their own organization, bylaws, education, work
processes and priorities. Work directly with the MSF Board on social /promotion events,
fundraising activities and volunteer recruitment.
5. Promote volunteerism, connectedness, and community building in the Village, collaborating
with other groups with similar goals as much as possible. Become familiar with people and
groups involved in the Village Center.
6. Develop and conduct ongoing public awareness and education programs designed to
enhance appreciation of Franklin’s historic Village Center and other assets and to foster an
understanding of MSF goals and objectives.
7. Advise business and property owners on physical and business improvement projects
through consultation and/or obtaining technical or design resources. Provide guidance on
financial resources for physical improvements.
8. Assist in the coordination of Village events and business promotion events to improve the
quality and success of events. Work closely with Village resources and local media to ensure
maximum event coverage; encourage design excellence in promotion.
9. When necessary, represent the community at the local, state and national levels to important
constituencies. Speak effectively on the program’s direction and findings, being mindful of
opportunities improve state and national development policies as they relate to small
Primary Relationships and Key Contacts
▪ The Main Street Franklin/Village Economic Development Director reports to the Franklin
▪ This person is accountable to the MSF Board chairperson and board of directors. The MSF
Board will conduct the annual performance review in consultation with the Village
▪ Other key contacts include Franklin Village Council, Council members serving as voting MSF
board members, Village commissions, local businesses, commercial property owners, service
organizations, local not-for-profits, MSOC and Village and County contractors as required.
Required Job Knowledge and Skills
1. Education and/or experience in more than one of the following areas: architecture, historic
preservation, finance, public relations, planning, municipal or non-profit management,
business management and/or small business development.
2. Sensitivity to design and preservation issues. The Director must understand the issues
confronting Franklin businesspeople, property owners, local and state agencies and
3. The Director must be entrepreneurial, articulate, creative, energetic, courageous,
imaginative, well organized and capable of functioning effectively and independently.
4. Must be willing to work as a team with Village officials and MSOC while functioning
independently in service to the community.
5. Must be able to engage effectively with individuals and groups representing adjacent and
occasionally competing priorities. Excellent written and presentation communication skills
are essential for success in this role.
Contact: Send resumes and cover letter to Village of Franklin, c/o Doreen Martin, 32325 Franklin Road,
Franklin, Michigan 48025.
Position Information: Pam Hansen, Village Trustee. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. 248-613-3312.