History Of Franklin
The Franklin Village settlement began in 1824, and
upon the completion of the Erie Canal, more settlers
from New England arrived. Many of the early settlers had
trades including: blacksmith, carpenter, mason,
bricklayer, and a shoemaker. For the next decade,
Franklin continued to grow and had many businesses
including: flour and feed mills, a lumber mill, a brick
and tile yard, a wagon and sleigh shop, a cooperage,
distillery and many small shops.
Life in the Village did not change until the advent of
the automobile and the construction of highways, and a
local developer laid out a plan calling for large
single-family lots in the 1920’s.
Franklin was incorporated as a Home Rule Village on
November 8, 1953 and continues the tradition of family
homes and businesses as the Village had originally
begun. Franklin Village is proud of its registered
Historical District remains and is fondly known as “The
Town That Time Forgot”.