Franklin Cemetery Association
The Franklin Cemetery was founded in 1827 on an acre of
land set aside by Elijah Bullock, one of the founders of
the Stoughton Bullock Settlement (renamed Franklin in
1828), and is registered with the Michigan Historical
Commission as an historic property. The first of six
expansions occurred in 1848 when Benjamin and Charlotte
Worthing donated an acre of farmland adjacent to the
Cemetery. The non-profit Franklin Cemetery Association
was formed in 1852 and has operated this beautiful
country Cemetery ever since.
We invite you to visit our Cemetery on Franklin Road
between 14 and 13 Mile Roads, at the corner of Scenic
Drive. The Cemetery displays typical nineteenth-century
grave markers, including urns, obelisks, tree trunks,
weeping willows, and benches.
The Cemetery is owned by its lot owners/Association
members and is administered by the Board of Directors.
Each May the members hold their Annual Meeting with a
traditional potluck dinner.
Every Memorial Day the community is invited to join us
in a Memorial Day Service, which is held at 11:00 in the
Cemetery. All are welcome to this patriotic remembrance
for over 250 veterans resting there; 4 are veterans of
the War of 1812 and 24 are veterans of the Civil War. A
Veteransâ€™ Memorial stands next to the flagpole and is
engraved with the names of all of these veterans.
Many choice gravesites are still available for area
residents. For further information regarding the
Cemetery, please contact Steve Bancroft, Cemetery Director,
at (248) 200-9493.